Friday, February 27, 2009

Personal Experiences

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I haven't updated since January. Chill.

Let me tell you why.

First, I was preparing myself to take the FSOT. It was a lot of mental work and a great experience. I used the study guide and worked on understanding the questions and the reasoning for the questions--not that any of them appeared on my test. The test was to start at 2pm on Wednesday, February 11. I dutifully left my apartment at 12:30pm for the bus with an estimated arrival time of 1:24pm.

That, of course, didn't account for the two-mile-per-hour train that cut through our route. I missed my connecting bus. So, after all was said and done, I arrived at the testing facility AT 2pm. I was the last one to get there. I had called ahead, so they knew I'd be there.

I sat down to take the test and breezed through the questions. The essay questions made my brain hurt, but I had fun with them. I just assumed the people grading the tests would need to laugh at some point...hyperbole can be a lot of fun.

The last to arrive...the first to leave. Great feeling.

Then, I was preparing to leave for Nashville, TN to perform for Band with a Mission. That went well. I'll have video posted of it Soon(TM), but in the meantime, just know that I received average to above average marks. The only negative feedback I received was that I looked tense (mostly because, well, I was) and that I need to move more when I sing--oh, and back off my vibrato. Funny thing about classical training.... you're taught to sing with vibrato as it's the most natural way to sing and you're also taught not to move when showcasing because...they're there for your voice (novel concept).

My stay in Nashville was not without moments of grand stupidity, however. My loyal reader and dear friend, Artemis Tau, decided to take me ice skating. I have the physical dexterity of a flailing marmoset. Sure, I can sorta dance, but strap two pieces of metal to my feet and make me walk on ice and you'll not see anything remotely resembling beautiful. You will, however, see something resembling a muppet.

I'd finally gotten to the point where I did not have to cling to him or the wall in order to remain semi-vertical and we were actually laughing and talking about things other than my falling to the ice (and all the potential injuries I could sustain). Suddenly and without warning, my left skate caught a rut in the ice. So as not to end up in a twisted split, I lifted my left foot...and caught my toe pick on the ice.

If you've never been ice skating and don't know what a toe pick is, let alone what it does, go watch The Cutting Edge, then come back to me.

Now, normally, I can stop my fall with, say, my knees or my hands--but, apparently this time, I put my Double D's to work. I landed diaphragm-first on the ice, knocking the wind out of myself. The diaphragm was very quickly followed by my boobs. Somewhere in there, I smacked my right elbow on the ice, too, but I was too busy coughing and gasping for air to notice. All three other people skated over to me to make sure I was okay. What they asked was, "Are you alright? Is she alright?!" Their answer came as: " I'm fine!" and "I ... think so? She...Uh...RA?" Artemis was probably more frea--no, no, I can't say that. I was pretty freaked out at the not being able to breath thing. He was just worried I'd broken something.

...which I had...

The front closure of my bra.

If I hadn't been a freaking DD, I'd have probably cracked my sternum or my ribs. Lord knows I've got a nice bruise on my chest. Never thought I'd live to see the day where I was actually happy I'd gained weight in my chest.

Beyond that action-packed and comedy-filled moment, I got to sing on stage at the Ryman Auditorium and record "Amazing Grace" in their studio. Nanny, that was for you. I miss you and I love you and I don't think I've ever cried so much in a building as I did at the Ryman. Thank you for believing in me and never giving up hope...when (not if) I get my first award for my vocals...it's for you.

RIP.

MARY ELIZABETH HAMMAKER
November 1915-December 1996

No comments: